Cushing’s Disease/Cushing’s Syndrome
Bernie's Perfect Poop May Help Support Dogs With Cushing’s Disease / Cushing’s Syndrome
Cushing’s Disease / Cushing’s Syndrome is a condition in dogs that causes their cortisol levels to be increased and their adrenal systems to be compromised. This can affect their overall health and function of vital organs. How may Bernie’s Perfect Poop help battle Cushing’s in dogs?
- If your dog's gut health is in check, your dog is likely to be at his healthiest. Gut health is intricately linked to overall health and a good, healthy gut can be the best defense against Cushing’s in dogs. Good dog gut health will allow your dog to absorb more nutrients, and create an environment that will help battle some of the uncomfortable side effects of Cushing’s your dog may suffer.
- Bernie’s uses high-quality flaxseed as one of its fibers. Flaxseed produces lignans, which are a type of polypheonal. They’re a micronutrient found in the flax and they work as a barrier to enzymes your dog needs to produce cortisol. A study by the University of Tennesssee’s Veterinarian program found that lignans combined with melatonin can lower concentration of the steroid and aid dogs with Cushing’s Syndrome.
- A high-quality fiber is pivotal for good gut health. A premium fiber combination like that in Bernie's Perfect Poop will make sure your dog is able to absorb all the nutrients he should from the food you give. This can defend against excessive cortisol levels and add to the overall gut health as that fiber ferments and feeds the good bacteria in his gut.
- Bernie's Perfect Poop also combines prebiotics and probiotics to balance your dog's gut microbiome. When your dog's gut health is as it should be, good bacteria (probiotics) prevent harmful bacteria from overgrowing. Excessive harmful bacteria can prevent your dog from suffering some of the harsh side effects that can come with Cushing’s Disease. Bernie's prebiotics and probiotics encourage optimal dog gut health to keep your dog's gut in shape and digestive health strong. This means relief from many of the common conditions that accompany Cushing’s (lethargy, poor skin and coat, excessive weight gain, etc.)
- Every cell of your dog's body needs nutrients. Without proper nutrient absorption, your dog’s gut isn’t healthy and he’s not able to fuel the cells he needs to be healthy. The enzymes in Bernie's Perfect Poop help break food down more efficiently, which means your dog's body can absorb more nutrition. This efficient nutrition absorption will help your dog battle the uncomfortable secondary conditions that can come with Cushing’s Disease.
- Bernie's Perfect Poop is a 4-in-1 combination of fiber, prebiotics, probiotics, and enzymes. Good dog gut health is the key to a happier, healthier life for your dog, and that is especially important for their mood and mental health. Many times, depression in dogs stems from poor digestion. Bernie's helps balance the digestive tract and provide a better gut microbiome.
What Does Cushing’s Disease Look Like In Dogs And What Are The Symptoms?
In a few words, Cushing’s Disease or Cushing’s Syndrome (the terms are often used interchangeably) means that your dog has excessive levels of glucocorticosteroids (cortisone and cortisol) in his bloodstream. Your dog’s adrenal glands create the corticosteroids and the pituitary gland monitors them. Cushing’s Disease can depend on dysfunction of your dog’s pituitary gland or of their adrenal gland.
Cushing’s Disease can have serious long-term effects. The most significant can be of suppression of their immune system. Without a healthy immune system, your dog is vulnerable to many infections and illnesses. They can also suffer from liver damage or pancreatitis and their skeletal muscles can become weakened quickly. This may mean a dramatic reduction in their quality of life, and that can lead to depression. In some cases when not managed, Cushing’s Disease can result in the death of your dog.
The symptoms of Cushing’s Disease are:
- Increased thirst (polydipsia)
- Increased urination (polyuria)
- Excessive panting
- Increased appetite (Polyphagia)
- Appearance of ‘pot-belly’
- Hair loss
- Rashy skin
- Skin infection
- Muscle weakness
- Weight loss despite appetite increase
- Change in sleeping pattern
- High blood pressure
Causes of Cushing’s Disease in Dogs
Cushing’s Disease means that your dog’s body makes too much cortisol. This chemical helps them respond to stress, fight infections, controls their weight, and keeps their blood sugar levels where they need to be.
There are three types of Cushing’s Disease, and each has a different cause. The most common cause is a benign or malignant tumor of the pituitary gland. The tumor will make your dog overproduce a hormone called ACTH. This ACTH stimulates your dog’s adrenal glands to produce cortisol, and in this sense, it’s too much cortisol. The problem is that if your pituitary gland senses the increased cortisol, it will then produce less ACTH and that means less cortisol. This roller coaster wreaks havoc on your dog. Sometimes, the tumor can be managed, but if not, it means a less favorable prognosis for your dog.
Another cause of Cushing’s is a benign or malignant tumor of the adrenal gland. Surgery can sometimes cure this if it can be removed, but if it’s malignant, it may be temporary.
Another common cause of Cushing’s is the excessive use of steroids in your dog for other conditions. Often veterinarians will prescribe steroids for various conditions (hot spots, allergies, etc.) and this prolonged use may adversely affect your dog and cause iatrogenic Cushing’s Disease.
|Causes of Cushing’s Disease||Can Perfect Poop Help?|
|Overproduction of Cortisol||YES|
|Pituitary gland tumor|
|Adrenal gland tumor|
|Excessive or prolonged steroid use|
If your dog is exhibiting any of the signs or symptoms of Cushing’s Disease, you’ll want to contact your vet and have it appropriately diagnosed. Dietary changes and supplementation can make a big difference in treatment, but you need to know what you’re dealing with.
Other Ways to Help
- Keep your dog’s immune system healthy to avoid steroids
- Feed high-quality food or consider whole foods
- Give exercise as they’ll take it to reduce stress
- Make sure your dog has access to water
- Consider pharmacological interventions advised by vet
- Oregon State University Study: Lignans
- Cushing’s Disease in Dogs
- Natural Dog Cushing’s Disease Treatments
WHAT OTHER PET PARENTS SAY
Totally and completely satisfied with Perfect Poop. My dog now has regular and "perfectly" formed poops. He is pooping perfects "cigars", to quote my vet.
More Information About Viral Infections In Dogs
When your dog has been diagnosed with Cushing’s Disease, you must do all you can to boost their immunity and gut health. If your dog's gut is healthy, their digestive tract will also be healthy. This means they'll be able to absorb all they're supposed to from their food, and fight secondary symptoms of Cushing’s Disease. It can protect them from the disease progressing and improve their quality of life as they battle the disease.
Fiber will help your dog have regular and consistent bowel movements
Fiber is a regulator that keeps food moving properly through your dog's digestive system and keeps them pooping regularly and consistently.
High-quality fiber helps bulk up and solidify stool so that it moves through and is easier to pass from your dog's digestive system. Fiber can help soak up water from outside of your dog's colon to soften your dog's stool for easier passing. When the consistency in his colon is nice and smooth, he is able to get rid of waste more efficiently and effectively.
High-quality fiber also helps your dog's body absorb all it is supposed to from the food you offer, and helps fuel probiotics that balance their guts. If your dog is not getting enough premium fiber, their guts are imbalanced and this can leave them vulnerable to the side effects of Cushing’s Disease, as well as other outside illnesses and infections.
But perhaps the most important function of high-quality fiber found in Bernie’s Perfect Poop is that the flaxseed. Experts call flaxseed ‘Nature’s Perfect Food.’ This is because it not only contains soluble fiber and omega-3 essential fatty acids, but it also contains lignans.
Lignans are natural elements found to counteract the production of cortisol in your dog and help lower side effects. Not to mention the omega-3 fatty acid is anti-inflammatory and helps bolster immunity for your dog.
Not all fiber and flax supplements for dogs are created equal, though. Bernie's uses Miscanthus grass as it’s base for fiber. It's a healthier alternative to other cheap fiber fillers some supplements use, and is an all-natural, non-GMO, grain-free, gluten-free fiber that is sustainably grown. It's grown without herbicides or pesticides and is good for the planet and for our dogs. All flaxseed is grown responsibly on farms in the United States.
Prebiotics and Probiotics may help your dog be more regular and consistent
Many uncomfortable symptoms come with Cushing’s in dogs. Better gut health can benefit your dog by battling those symptoms and increasing their ability to process and absorb the nutrients that build his immune system.
Prebiotics and probiotics are the key elements to helping your dog's gut health be at its best. Prebiotics and Probiotics balance out your dog's digestive tract bacteria and microbiome. This means they're key to your dog’s increased energy, reduced joint inflammation and healthy immune system, to name a few.
The prebiotic Bernie's Perfect Poop uses is Inulin. Inulin acts as a fertilizer to feed the good bacteria in your dog's lower digestive tract. With the proper supplementation, good bacteria thrive and keep your dog's gut healthy and balanced. A balanced gut is key to combating the symptoms that accompany Cushing’s Disease and may help slow the condition’s progression.
Probiotics are the good bacteria in your dog's gut. Adding that good bacteria through supplementation limits the growth and effects of harmful bacteria. When the good bacteria in your dog's gut get the proper nutrition, they multiply and create a healthy environment. Adding good bacteria with Bernie's means you keep your dog's gut as healthy as it can be, and that affects his overall health.
Enzymes may help your dog have the perfect poop that's consistent and regular
Enzymes in Bernie's Perfect Poop will help your dog's digestive tract break food down better. This is vital for helping your dog’s quality of life while battling Cushing’s.The food you give your dog is meant to be broken down so that their body can absorb the nutrition and get rid of waste. But if your dog isn't able to break their food down as they should, they can't move waste through their systems with consistency and regularity. Nor can they receive proper nutrient absorption. Without proper nutrient absorption, your dog's body won’t be appropriately fueled to defend against other illnesses or the symptoms of Cushing’s Disease. The enzymes in Bernie's help ensure your dog gets the most from the food you feed him, and helps your dog's digestion. Better dog digestion means the best gut health and that’s what you want when your dog is suffering from Cushing’s.